The menus at the Mexican inspired chain Wahaca, which has 13 sites across the UK, is now around 50% plant-based, while its sourcing policy focuses on “better” meat and local produce from the best of British farms:
- Only using free-range pork and grass-fed beef from British farms where animals can enjoy natural lives outdoors.
- Chicken is sourced from free range farms in the UK and Northern France.
- Seasonal specials are sourced throughout the year from local producers.
- Offers a climate-friendly alternative to guacamole, using organic fava beans grown in the UK by Hodmedods to create their own ‘Wahacamole’.
- Has introduced carbon ratings on menus to help diners make more sustainable choices.
- Wahaca has completed the SRA's Food Made Good Sustainability Rating.
- First restaurant group in the UK to be certified carbon neutral.
Thomasina Miers, co-founder Wahaca says, "We can all have a positive impact on the planet just by our food choices and we want to make that as easy as possible for you. At Wahaca we endlessly look at the whole picture from soil and supply chains to working hard to put the most sustainable choices onto our plates that are not only good for the planet but incredibly delicious too.”
Image credit: Wahaca "Squash Tostada" image supplied by the SRA from the One Planet Plate campaign.