We are asking for action by the UK Government to embed food, health and sustainability into policy development. Specifically, we want the UK Government to:
- Put food and agriculture centre-stage in strategies to meet climate change agreements and sustainable development goals.
Update the UK’s official dietary guidance – the EatWell Guide – and associated advice to integrate sustainability messages, including eating less meat.
- Introduce mandatory procurement standards for caterers to ensure that meals paid for by taxpayers in schools, hospitals, prisons, care homes and all government departments are healthy and sustainable.
- Support and encourage farming that produces meat in ways that benefit the environment, human health and animal welfare and provides a fair return for farmers.
- Align UK business growth policy for food and farming with health and sustainability including supporting innovation and growth of a more diverse range of plant-based protein options.
- Completely ban the unnecessary and dangerous routine use of antibiotics in farming.