Are you an exceptional organiser who can work collaboratively with others to get things done? Do you have the ability to work flexibly to meet changing demands and still pay attention to detail? Eating Better is recruiting a Campaign and Office Co-ordinator. The role will suit someone who has a genuine interest in making a difference for people and the planet.
Location: Old Street, London EC1
Hours: 3 days/22.5 hours a week (0.6 f/t)
Term: This post is currently funded until June 2020
Salary: £21,000 pro rata (£12,600). Plus 3% pension contribution
Closing date for applications: 12 noon Friday 23 November 2018
Interviews will be held: Tuesday 4 December
Anticipated start date: early January
The Eating Better alliance is seeking an organised and motivated Campaign and Office Co-ordinator to join our small team to provide operational support and contribute to the work of this dynamic alliance. You will work with our Executive Director and Campaigns and Communications Manager.
The role will suit someone who has a genuine interest in making a difference for people and the planet. We are looking for someone with strong administrative skills with experience in providing operational and finance support and who can work effectively in a small team. You will be at ease with a varied and exciting range of tasks, be really organised and able to work confidently and effectively using your own initiative as well as having an active interest in food and farming issues. There will be plenty of opportunities to contribute your ideas, develop your skills and support the delivery of our wider programme of work.
Eating Better is a growing UK-based charitable alliance that is working together to help people move towards eating less and better meat. Eating Better encourages a culture where we place greater value on the food we eat, the animals that provide it and the people who produce it. We bring together a growing number of national supporting organisations and partner networks (currently 53) from public health, environment, animal welfare, faith groups, campaigning, research, international development and responsible food interests (see here). Our Board comprises Friends of the Earth, WWF, Sustain, UK Health Forum and Compassion in World Farming.
Our core Eating Better activities focus on raising awareness of the need for less and better meat and dairy consumption as part of sustainable diets – and demonstrating how to make that happen in practice - among civil society, and other key audiences including policy makers, businesses, the media and the general public. Our communication channels extend our impact and reach, engaging audiences via our website, blogs and monthly e-newsletters, social media, and using media commentary and conference presentations to promote the benefits of eating less and better meat.
We provide expertise and thought leadership (research, analysis, reports) to inform and support the work of alliance organisations, to influence public and political discourse and to underpin the development of shared asks of policy makers, businesses, research etc. We convene organisations within the alliance to work collaboratively to develop shared positions and add their weight to campaigns and activities. We help civil society organisations navigate tricky issues, find common ground and align behind shared goals.
This post is currently funded until June 2020. Our aim is to create a small core team of committed staff. Additional project-related work may also become available during the employment term, with the option of extending working hours.
Specific duties will include:
The purpose of this role is to support the core activities of Eating Better.
- Manage HR documentation, filing and processes (payroll, pensions, recruitment).
- Manage IT systems.
- Manage financial records and book-keeping.
- Manage and develop internal alliance communications to keep supporters updated including managing contact and mailing lists.
- Support with external communications including monthly e-newsletter (Mailchimp).
- Maintaining internal systems.
- Record keeping and reporting.
- Event management: Organising annual event, roundtable events and workshops and working groups including overseeing all logistical arrangements, sending communications and tracking participation.
- Organising Alliance Trustee meetings (4 times a year).
- Taking minutes at meetings and circulating minutes and key action points.
- Support with publication production, including proof reading.
- Assisting with the overall development of Eating Better by contributing to team meetings.
- Supporting the Executive Director and Communications and Campaign
- Manager with other tasks as necessary.
- Person Specification
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate they fulfil the following requirements:
Education/qualifications: A-levels or equivalent are essential; degree level or equivalent are desirable.
Knowledge: Interest in the impacts of our unsustainable diets for the environment, food security and public health.
- Experience of managing basic HR and finance processes (payroll and book-keeping).
- Experience of applying organisational skills to support event delivery and logistics.
- Experience with managing internal IT systems.
- Experience of note taking of meetings, editing/proof reading.
- Experience of providing administrative support
- Excellent IT skills, with good knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 (including Excel) and Google Suite. Comfortable using new programs and tools, with a willingness to learn.
- Excellent organisational skills including attention to detail.
- Ability to work on a range of tasks, managing time to meet different deadlines and ability to prioritise under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people.
- Excellent numeracy skills.
- Good writing and proof reading skills.
- Enthusiastic and supportive of the aims of Eating Better.
- Desire to gain experience of working for change within a campaign/advocacy organisation.
- Ability to work on own initiative, manage personal workload, set realistic timetables and meet deadlines.
- Effective and confident communicator.
- Organised and process-oriented.
- Flexibility and enthusiasm for taking on a variety of tasks and activities in a dynamic alliance.
- A commitment to team work and collaborative working.
- Experience of using payroll software (PAYE tools)
- Experience of using website CMS and email marketing tools.
- Experience within an NGO of working for change within the UK
- Knowledge of data protection law (GDPR) and compliance
- Project management experience
Send (by email) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- your CV
- a covering letter demonstrating how you meet each of the person specification requirements (no more than 2 pages)
- contact details of two people who can provide references for your work (we will not contact them without informing you first).
Closing date for applications:12 noon on Friday 23 November 2018 (late applications will not be accepted).
Interviews will be held on 4 December in London. Unfortunately, we are unable to give feedback to candidates not invited to interview.
If you have any questions about the role please contact email@example.com (No agencies).