Policy makers have a role to play in ensuring the food system delivers healthy sustainable, affordable food for all. Eating Better is calling on policy makers in the UK, devolved administrations and the EU to implement policies that help people move towards eating less and better meat and more plant based foods, including:
- Putting food and agriculture centre-stage in strategies to meet climate change agreements and sustainable development goals.
- Update the UK’s official dietary guidance – the EatWell plate – and associated advice to integrate sustainability messages, including eating less meat.
- Introduce mandatory procurement standards for caterers to ensure that meals paid for by taxpayers in schools, hospitals, prisons, care homes and all government departments are healthy & sustainable.
- Support and encourage farming that produces meat in ways that benefit the environment, human health and animal welfare and provides a fair return for farmers.
- Align UK business growth policy for food and farming with health and sustainability including supporting innovation and growth of a more diverse range of plant-based protein options.
- End the unnecessary and dangerous routine use of antibiotics in farming.
- Work with EU institutions and Member States to support Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) reform to deliver a European Healthy Sustainable Food and Farming Policy.